Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup
· ½ lb. bacon, diced
· l lb. Sweet Italian Ground Sausage
· 1 med. yellow onion, diced
· 2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
· 4 cups Chicken Broth
· 2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
· 2 cups water
· 3 cups loosely chopped kale
· Salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
· 1 cup heavy cream
Brown bacon in large skillet till golden and crispy. Remove from skillet and place in crock pot.
Brown sausage in same skillet. Be sure to break up large pieces. Remove from skillet and place in crock pot.
Cook onion in same skillet till translucent then add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add one cup of chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Be sure to loosen all the bits of crusty goodness from the pan and pour all into crock pot.
Add the rest of the chicken broth, the water and the potatoes to crock pot.
Cook on low 4-5 hours until potatoes are tender.
Add kale and salt and pepper to pot and cook for 1 more hour.
Add cream and allow to heat for 15 - 20 minutes.